I LOVE a great hash! They’re super easy to make, and it only takes one pan. Fewer dishes? Yes, please! Don’t eat eggs? No problem! This dish makes a super satisfying breakfast, you won’t even miss them! I’ve made this dish twice, the first time with rutabaga, and the second time with Japanese yams. My husband and I really loved both, so it’s totally your choice!
Feel free to use any pan that you like, my favorite to use for any breakfast is my Green Pan, as it’s non-stick without the chemicals, which makes for a super easy clean up! Hope you love this recipe!
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 lb steak, cut into bite sized pieces (I used grassfed New York steak)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 medium yam or sweet potato cut into ½” cubes, about 3 cups (or 2 medium rutabaga peeled, and cut into ½” cubes)
- 2 bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 ½ tsp sweet or smoked paprika
- 4-5 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 4-6 eggs (preferably pastured)
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp parsley or chives, minced
- Pico De Gallo
- Hot Sauce (I used Frank’s Red Hot Original)
1. Melt the coconut oil in a large pan over medium heat. Once the coconut oil has melted, add the steak and sauté just until cooked. You’ll be cooking it again with the eggs, so you don’t want to over cook it here. Place the steak in a clean bowl.
2. Add the yam (or sweet potato/ rutabaga) to the pan. Cover the pan with a lid for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once the yam is easily pierced with a fork, add the onions and peppers. Cook uncovered until softened. Add the garlic to the pan, cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the paprika to the pan and give it a good stir. Add the steak back into the pan and stir once more.
3. Reduce the heat to medium-low, so that the bottom of the hash doesn’t burn. Crack the eggs on top of everything in the pan. Add the 1 tbsp of water to the pan, and immediately cover with a lid. This will help the eggs steam and cook evenly. Keep an eye on the eggs (they’ll cook quickly) and remove the cover once they are cooked to your liking. Season with salt and pepper and top with any additional toppings of your choice. Eat up!