Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

Cookies_1_WEB

Do you even know how thrilled I am that I perfected these cookies?! These little guys are not only paleo-friendly, but they are also egg-free, coconut-free, nut-free, and have easy modifications to make them autoimmune protocol friendly! Annnnd they took me eight attempts to get right. And then I made them two more times, just to be sure they were perfect. Normally I would have lost interest long ago, and moved onto trying a new recipe, but I couldn’t give up on these. I know so many of you have allergies that extend beyond paleo, so these cookies had to happen!

As far as the flour goes, I can only recommend one brand of cassava flour by Otto’s Naturals, because it’s the only brand that I personally use. Please note that although cassava flour and tapioca flour both come from yuca, they are NOT the same. Cassava flour is made from the entire root, while tapioca flour is only the bleached and extracted starch. I also used date sugar to keep them coconut-free, but I’m sure coconut sugar would work great, if that’s what you have on hand!

I hope you can taste the love that went into creating these cookies! Happy baking!

Cookies_2_WEB

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. Place all of the dry ingredients into your food processor. Pulse until well combined. You want the gelatin to be mixed in so that it won’t clump when you add the wet ingredients.
  3. Add all of the wet ingredients, besides the chocolate chips, to the food processor. Blend until well combined, and dough forms. Stir in the chocolate chips.
  4. Use a spoon to drop the golf-ball sized dough balls onto the parchment lined cookie sheet. Use your fingers to flatten the cookies slightly. FYI: the cookies won’t change shape much while they bake.
  5. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Cool on a wire rack completely before serving. The gelatin will set as the cookies cool. Enjoy!!

Cookies_3_WEB

Cookies_4_WEB

1. lauramacky

They look really good! I’ve been looking into no dairy things. I just made these the other day and they are so yummy! http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-recipe/raw-pumpkin-bars/

2. Stacey

Yessss!!!! Yayyyy!!!! I can’t wait to make these! I gotta get some date sugar and then these are happening! Thank you for considering our many food allergies! You’re the best! More exclamation points!!! Lol

Thanks so much, Stacey! I really hope you love them! 🙂

3. Libby

These look amazing! Thank you for persevering to make them work (& for making an AIP version too!)! Can’t wait to try them!
    Do you think I could substitute the date sugar for maple syrup or honey?

Thanks so much, Libby! Maple syrup or honey wouldn’t make a great substitution for the date sugar, but any other type of dry sugar should work well, such as coconut sugar or maple sugar. Hope that helps! 🙂

4. […] Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies from Living Loving Paleo […]

5. […] Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies (courtesy of Living Loving Paleo) […]

6. Stacey

So, I’ve made these many times now and they are so good and they are always a huge hit with everyone that tries them! I love this recipe and it’s so easy to put together! I seriously make a double batch everytime. You’re awesome Kristen! ?

You’re the best Stacey, thanks so much for letting me know!! 🙂

7. Holly

These look delicious! If you’ve reintroduced eggs, could you use those instead of the gelatin (and how many)? Thank you!

Hi Holly! I haven’t tried these with eggs yet, but I think they would still turn out great 🙂 I would sub one egg in for the gelatin. If you make them, I’d love to hear how they turn out!

8. janet

Kristen, I just went to the link for the chocolate chips on Amazon for the Equal Exchange 10 oz. chocolate chips, which are selling for between at $75! Check it out!

Ah bummer, sometimes Amazon gets really crazy with their prices :/ I get this brand at Whole Foods for about $6/package. The lowest I currently found on Amazon was 2 packages for around $22 – http://amzn.to/2e0GdRF Hope that helps!

9. Janet

Yes, I figured as much… but wanted you to know so that your links went elsewhere!!
    I am really enjoying your recipes. I added shredded coconut, walnuts, raisins and even homemade applesauce to the the pumpkin spice muffins and they are fabulous. Now I make a couple dozen and freeze them… allowing myself only 1 per day.

I so appreciate you letting me know, thanks Janet! Love the additions you made as well!

10. Jessamyn

These look great. Are there any other options for the palm shortening that you can think of?

You could definitely try using softened butter or ghee instead, possibly even coconut oil! I haven’t tried these substitutions myself, but I think they would work fine 🙂

11. Jessamyn

Thank you so much!

12. Andrea

I’ve never heard of Cassava flour? Is there an alternative if I can’t find it?

You can easily find cassava flour online, and sometimes at Whole Foods! Unfortunately it isn’t something that can be easily substituted with another grain-free flour. This is my only cookie recipe that uses cassava, so feel free to check out my other cookie recipes! 🙂

13. Amy

So tapioca flour wouldn’t work?? Any other flour work? Thanks

Hi Amy! Tapioca flour wouldn’t work in this recipe, but you can easily find cassava flour online or in some grocery stores. This is my only cookie recipe that uses cassava, so feel free to also check out my other recipes! 🙂

14. Barbie

I am obsessed with these! I sub cream of tartar for ACV, cassava sweetener for maple syrup and no chocolate chips👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

So glad you liked them and that they still work perfectly with the changes you made!