Dairy-Free Sour Cream

posted in: Sauces/Dips | 16

Sour_Cream_1_WEB

Think you can’t have sour cream just because you don’t do well with dairy? Think again! This is just one of the sour cream recipes that will be available in my eBook, along with over 30 additional sauces! I wanted to give you a little sneak peek, as you’re going to really want this recipe for my Layered Taco Casserole that I’m posting on Friday!

If you’re already signed up for my newsletter, then you’ve also received a second exclusive recipe for a dairy-free sour cream, which is also egg-free! That recipe will also be included in my eBook, and I’m still working on one additional version! My goal is to have different variations of most of the sauces, this way they’ll work for as many diet needs as possible.

This recipe is so easy, and I have a feeling you’re gonna love it! Enjoy!

Dairy-Free Sour Cream

1. Place the avocado oil, egg, lemon juice, mustard powder, garlic and salt in a tall container (I use a 2 cup Pyrex measuring cup). Place an immersion blender at the bottom and turn on. Once the mixture starts to blend together and become thick, move the immersion blender towards the top, until it is well blended. This should take less than a minute! Add the lime juice and nutritional yeast and blend once more. Enjoy!
  2. **FYI this recipe only works if you’re using an immersion blender. If you’re using a regular blender or Vitamix, use the basic mayo recipe that can be found HERE . Then just add the garlic, salt, lime juice and nutritional yeast!

Sour_Cream_2_WEB

1. […] hand you could always use cooked and sliced sweet potatoes instead. I topped this casserole with my dairy-free sour cream, which took it to the next […]

2. Rebecca (@readingwishes)

This looks great. Since becoming DF, I miss topping sour cream on dishes! Just wondering, do you know if I could use this in dishes and cook with it or would it effect the eggs? TIA.

So sorry I’m just now seeing your comment, Rebecca, for some reason it just came through! I’ve used this before in a dish that I was cooking and it worked great! 🙂

3. […] you could also use regular French fries, sweet potato fries or even parsnip and carrot fries! The dairy-free sour “cream” I’ve used in this recipe isn’t to be missed, it’s really what takes these loaded chili fries […]

4. Monika

I am allergic to avocado, and I was wondering if you had an idea for a substitute oil? Thanks!

Hi Monika! Any light tasting oil will work in place of the avocado oil, such as macadamia nut oil. I would avoid using olive oil, as it’ll give the sauce a very bitter taste. Hope that helps!

• Monika

Thanks so much!

5. Kristen Skinner

Do you think the egg gets heated enough from the blending to eat while pregnant? Making the nacho cheese sauce tonight! Thank you for the recipe!

Hi Kristen! Hmmm, I’m not sure the eggs would heat up enough just from blending it, but you could definitely try heating it in a double boiler. I would just simmer a pot of water and place a bowl on top of the pot. Add the dairy-free sour cream to the bowl and whisk it for a couple minutes – that’ll make sure that the egg is heated through 🙂 Hope that helps!

Hey Kristen! I just had a thought, if you haven’t already made the dairy-free sour cream. I have another version in my eBook that’s egg-free and just as good, let me know if you’d like the recipe and I’d be happy to email it to you!

6. Kristen Skinner

Thank you! I made the cheese sauce last night and it blew my mind!! So yummy!! Thank you!!

So glad you enjoyed it, Kristen! <3

7. Kristen

That would be awesome! Thank you!!

Just sent it over to you 🙂

8. Kathy

We live in Sweden and avocado oil is extremely expensive. What would you recommend for a substitution in your sour cream recipe?

Hi Kathy! Any really light tasting oil will work, such as macadamia nut oil, or something similar. Light tasting olive oil (not extra virgin) might work as well! You just want an oil with a very neutral flavor. Hope that helps!