Chipotle Aioli

posted in: Sauces/Dips | 30

Chipotle_1_WEB

This chipotle aioli is my husband’s absolute favorite sauce! I send a double batch with him to work; he uses it for everything from salad dressing, to topping burgers, to dipping sweet potato fries! Funny enough, we both REALLY disliked mayo until we discovered homemade, paleo mayo! It’s a total game changer, and unbelievably easy to make! It’s got a nice “kick” to it, although not overwhelmingly spicy.

This post comes at an interesting time, as I’m currently doing the Autoimmune Protocol (this post was originally written in 2014). I already eat strict paleo, but for 30 days I’m also cutting eggs, nightshades, nuts and seeds, so sadly this aioli is off limits for now! Having Crohn’s Disease (an autoimmune disease) makes me more likely to be sensitive to these foods, as they can produce inflammation for some people. Once the 30 days are up, I’ll reintroduce one thing at a time to see if I have any issues. Hoping that chipotle aioli loves me at the end of this, because I sure do love it! This stuff is GOOD, I highly recommend making a double batch! Enjoy!!

Chipotle_2_WEB

Chipotle Aioli

1. To make the chipotle aioli, place all ingredients in a tall container (I use a 2 cup Pyrex measuring cup). Place an immersion blender at the bottom and turn on. Once the mixture starts to blend together and become thick, move the immersion blender towards the top, until it is well blended and thick. This should take less than a minute! So easy, so good! **FYI this recipe only works if you’re using an immersion blender. If you’re using a regular blender or vitamix, use the basic mayo recipe that can be found HERE. Then just add the chipotle powder, cajun seasoning, garlic & sea salt!

Chipotle_3_WEB

1. Tom

Yeah. I see Mike put this on Everything. One of these days I’m gonna try some!

You’re definitely gonna have to try some, Tom! You’re gonna have to steal Mike’s jar when he isn’t looking 😉

2. stef

I’m wondering if this autoimmune protocol might help me – I have celiac and colitis – the thought of giving up eggs, nuts and coffee is a scary one though!! 🙂 I also am tired of living off meds that really don’t work!

Stef, I am SOOO with you!! It took me almost a year after going paleo to give it a shot! I’m feeling really good, but have always been curious if these foods could be bothering me in anyway, so I finally decided it was time to find out! What keeps me going is just looking at it as very temporary, I have 21 days left, but who’s counting 😉

3. Amy Ayers

This looks absolutely amazing. I can’t wait to try it.

4. bwdell

What is a pastured egg?

Hi! Pastured eggs are just what I recommend, but of course you can use whatever egg you’d like. Pastured eggs come from the healthiest chickens, that are completely free roaming and eat grass and bugs, which is what chickens are meant to eat 🙂 I get mine at my local farmers market, but you can also find them at Whole Foods or other health food stores. They have an amazing flavor and bright orange yolk, I highly recommend giving them a try!

5. Sarah

Sounds yum! Can you use another type of oil instead of avocado?

Thanks, Sarah! I’ve heard of people using macadamia nut oil, or light olive oil (NOT extra virgin, as it will be very bitter). I know avocado oil can be expensive, if you have a Costco near you they have a great deal on it!

6. ladysarahinlondon

This is beyond my cooking skills but looks delicious

Thank you!! I promise, it’s super easy if you have an immersion blender 🙂

7. adashofmeg

what a wonderful recipe babe! love you

8. Carla

After making this about a dozen times in the last month I had to tell you how delicious it is! Honestly I don’t even really love mayonnaise but this is in a category all it’s own! I used Extra Light Olive Oil and don’t notice an overwhelming taste. My favorite way to eat it is as a dip for sweet potato fries but it’s also amazing on turkey & beef burgers or just for dipping veggies! Makes it REALLY easy to get a healthy fat into every meal (really easy!) and also makes me happy I buy local eggs to use in it! Thanks!

Thank you so much, Carla! You don’t even know how happy it makes me to hear that others love my recipes! I make a double batch of this weekly, my husband and I use it for everything! Thanks for letting me know that the light olive oil worked as well, I’ve had a few people ask 🙂

9. Erin

This. Saved. My life.

You win all the awards for the best comment ever! 🙂

10. […] spice blend is not only super easy, it’s also less expensive! I especially love this blend for my Chipotle Aioli, as well as just using it as a chicken rub. It has the perfect amount of heat, and a whole lotta […]

11. […] This simple and super delicious recipe is awesome for meal prepping ahead of time, and would also be be really great served with my ranch dressing or chipotle aioli! […]

12. Kelli

Do you store in the fridge after and it it cold?

Yep! If you use all dried seasonings, it’ll stay good in the fridge until the date your egg expires 🙂

13. Imoana

If I have premade mayo which seasonings so I add to it to make this?

Hi! If you’re using pre-made mayo, just stir in the chipotle powder, Cajun seasoning, garlic and add sea salt to taste (as pre-made mayo usually has salt already in it). 🙂

14. […] topped this casserole with my Chipotle Aioli (which is shown in these images), and then the next day I had it with salsa, and then my […]

15. […] topped this casserole with my Chipotle Aioli (which is shown in these images), and then the next day I had it with salsa, and then my […]

16. […] they’re all delicious! I love having it served raw as a slaw, tossed with my Ranch Dressing or Chipotle Aioli, quickly sautéed, stir-fried and steamed. I’ve also added a handful to my protein shake after […]

17. […] Dinner – Wild caught salmon, roasted broccoli, white rice and my Chipotle Aioli. […]

18. Melissa Sullivan

Excited to try this! I just made it, but it didn’t get thick after I used my immersion blender. It was still pretty runny. I stuck it in the fridge in hopes it will thicken, but is that okay? Or how should I fix it?
    Thank you!

Hi Melissa! Oh no, so sorry to hear that you had an issue! I haven’t heard of this happening before using an immersion blender, but I’m thinking it could be that you possibly moved the immersion blender from the bottom before it started to thicken? I haven’t had to personally thicken a mayo myself, but I did find this article that may be helpful – http://www.livestrong.com/article/498992-how-to-fix-thin-homemade-mayo/ Hope that works! 🙂