Layered Taco Casserole (paleo + Whole30)

posted in: Main Dish | 30

It’s been over 2 years since I first published this Layered Taco Casserole recipe, and after sharing this on Whole30 Recipes a couple weeks ago, I decided it was time to update the images!

Layered Taco Casserole (paleo + Whole30)

The struggle is REAL when it comes to making a casserole look pretty in a picture.

Here’s a blast from the past of what this Layered Taco Casserole looked like when I first took pictures of it:

Casserole_1_WEB

I’ve been working on my photography lately and have been learning a TON from my husband, who’s amazing at videography. Truth be told, my Nikon camera always intimidated me. I’d mess with a few of the settings but left the rest alone.

Now, I’m taking the time to break it all down and figure out exactly what each button means and does. By taking it one step at a time, it’s really becoming easy to understand! I aim to get better and better with each image that I take, and I love having you here with me for this journey!

Layered Taco Casserole (paleo + Whole30)

Casseroles are my JAM. They’re always so easy to put together and make for the best leftovers. I’ve made this Layered Taco Casserole several times over the past month just because it’s THAT GOOD! Since I originally shared this recipe, it’s become a reader favorite – and once you make it for yourself, you’ll see why!

My husband had the idea of adding plantains to the bottom of the casserole to form a crust, and it was the most genius idea ever! Although I prefer plantains, If you don’t have any on hand you could always use cooked and sliced sweet potatoes instead. I topped this casserole with my dairy-free sour cream, which took it to the next level!

Layered Taco Casserole (paleo + Whole30)

My husband had the idea of adding plantains to the bottom of the casserole to form a crust, and it was the most genius idea ever! Although I prefer plantains, If you don’t have any on hand you could always use cooked and sliced sweet potatoes instead. I topped this Layered Taco Casserole with my dairy-free sour cream, which took it to the next level!

Layered Taco Casserole (paleo + Whole30)

Enjoy this Layered Taco Casserole!

Layered Taco Casserole

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Peel the plantains by making a shallow cut in the skin, lengthwise and peel the skin away from the fruit. Cut the plantain in half, and then cut each half into thirds, lengthwise.
  3. Melt the coconut oil in a large pan over medium heat. Place the plantains in a single layer in the heated pan. Cook until the edges of the plantains begin to turn golden brown. Flip and cook the other side until golden brown. Place on a plate lined with paper towels.
  4. Add the diced onion and bell pepper to the pan that you just cooked the plantains in. Sauté until soft, approximately 4-5 minutes. Add the ground beef to the pan and sauté until cooked through. Drain any extra fat remaining in the pan. Add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Add the chili powder, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, sea salt, and black pepper to the pan and stir until combined. Turn off the heat on your stove and add the salsa to the pan and stir the mixture well. Add the whisked eggs to the pan and stir until the mixture is well combined.
  5. Place the plantains in a single layer in a 9x9” dish. Pour the taco mixture on top of the plantains and spread to make an even top. Bake for 45-60 minutes, or until the casserole has set.
  6. Remove the casserole from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Spread the guacamole on top of the casserole and enjoy!!

PIN IT FOR LATER – Layered Taco Casserole:

Layered Taco Casserole (paleo + Whole30)

1. Chelsie M.

More casseroles please!!!! Love your recipes so much!

Done and done! 😉

2. Barbie

Amazing is there a sub for the egg if you don’t do eggs?

Hmmm, you may be able to replace the egg with a gelatin “egg”, as described in this post – http://thecuriouscoconut.com/blog/how-to-use-gelatin-as-a-gut-friendly-egg-replacer

I would just heat the mixture of beef until it’s simmering, including the salsa and then mix in the gelatin “eggs”. I would also let the casserole cool for at least 20-30 minutes, as gelatins sets the more it cools. I haven’t tried this myself so I can’t say for sure if it will work. If you happen to try it, I’d love to hear how it goes!

Even if you just leave out the eggs all together, it may not set to where you can slice it, but it would still be really delicious! 😉

3. Keely

I got it in the over now! So excited! Where do the 4 garlic cloves go? Hopefully in with the beef because that’s where I put them lol.

Oops, thanks for catching that! Good guess, the garlic does go with the beef – I just updated the recipe 😉 I hope you loved the casserole!

4. Jaime

I made this, although the flavor of the meat was SO delish after adding the salsa that I decided to skip the eggs. While a little crumby sans eggs, the flavor is great! I topped it with guacamole, grass fed sour cream and cilantro. It’s awesome and such a great thing to reheat on weeknights. Thanks for sharing this one with us!

So glad you liked it, Jaime! 🙂

5. Jennifer Gleason

Hi, I want to make this for a crowd and was wondering how many servings would you estimate your recipe makes? Thanks

Hi Jennifer! This recipe uses an 9×9″ casserole dish, so depending on how hungry your crowd is, I’d say this would feed 6-7 people. I often double the recipe and use a 9×13″ dish to feed a larger crowd, or just to have plenty of leftovers 🙂

6. jennifer

thanks for the recipe! i made this tonight (whole30) and even the picky, non-whole30 hubby liked it! tasty and very filling.

the plantains adds sweetness (mine were still yellow) so, next time i may add jalapeno, or use greener plantains…do you have any thoughts on these ideas? i havent cooke with plantains a great deal. thanks!

Hi Jennifer! So glad you liked it! From what you mentioned I think you’d really like using greener plantains (You wouldn’t want them super hard – green with maybe just a little yellow coming in on the skin) and maybe a spicier salsa? Hope that helps! 🙂

7. Amy

Just made this and eating leftovers now. This is excellent! My 2 year old even likes it! It will be a regular in my rotation, even when not doing a whole30. Easy recipe and leftovers heat up perfectly. Thank you for sharing! ?

So happy you liked it, Amy! 🙂

8. […] Layered Taco Casserole […]

9. Kindra7777

Do you think this would work with sweet potatoes instead of plantains?

Absolutely! I would cook them beforehand, and just know that it’ll make more of a sweet & soft vs savory crust 🙂

• Kendra Hansen

Cook them the same way as the plantains or bake them until soft? We don’t have plantains where I live and I really want to try this!!

Do you mean using sweet potatoes? I slice them thinly and cook them the same way 🙂

10. Donnanna

I made this last night, and it was so good. I couldn’t find plantains, so I used plantain chips. Super hearty and the spices were just right. Thanks for a great recipe!

Plantain chips sound amazing! Great idea!

11. Soomie

So good! How many servings?

Approximately 6-9 servings, depending on how hungry everyone is 🙂

12. […] to try to replicate the foods/meals you already liked to eat before. If you love eating tacos, find an amazing taco casserole. If you’re a burger fiend, you’re in luck there […]

13. Tim

Excellent recipe- leaving the cayan out allows for the kids to eat it too. Excellent recipe!

So glad you liked it, Tim!

14. Rhonda

I made this today for the first time. It is SO good!!! I’m on Day 4 of my first Whole30. This recipe is definitely a keeper! I’m so glad I found you on Instagram! 😊

Woohoo!! So glad you found me too!

15. Peggy Lucius

Do you put in the oven as is or do you cover with tin foil to prevent from drying out?…. this is the second time we have made it, but I can’t remember what we did last time? Love the recipe!

Hey Peggy, I put it in the oven as is!