This Grilled Balsamic Chicken recipe is boneless skinless chicken thighs soaked in a flavorful garlic balsamic marinade, then grilled to golden brown perfection. It’s one of my favorite Whole30 grilled chicken recipes: quick, flavorful, and satisfying. A staple recipe thatâs perfect for summer entertaining!
While guest posting over at Whole30 a few weeks back, I posted this balsamic chicken recipe and it was a HUGE hit! I needed new images to post on Whole30, so I figured I might as well update my blog recipe as well! What you don’t see behind these images is the bees trying to swipe my chicken. ð This balsamic grilled chicken is one of my personal favorites, and one of my most popular recipes on my entire website. It’s incredibly easy to make, and is perfect to prep for the week ahead! So let’s fire up the grill!
HOW DO YOU MAKE GRILLED BALSAMIC CHICKEN?
The first step in this recipe is to prepare a simple marinade of balsamic vinegar, olive (or avocado) oil, garlic, salt and pepper. The chicken should marinate for at least two hours, but you can leave the chicken in the marinade for up to 24 hours. Grill the chicken on medium low heat for 7-10 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Slice and serve. So good!
HOW LONG DO YOU GRILL CHICKEN THIGHS?
This chicken needs to grill for about 7-10 minutes per side. The grill time depends on the size of your chicken thighs. A medium sized (4 ounce) chicken thigh will typically cook in 10-12 minutes total. A larger thigh (6-8 ounces) can take 20 minutes or longer to be done.
HOW DO YOU KNOW WHEN GRILLED CHICKEN IS DONE?
The best way to gauge whether your chicken is done is to use a thermometer to test the thickest part of the breast or thigh. The thermometer should read at least 165 degrees F. I use an electronic thermometer with a remote so that I can just leave the chicken on the grill and monitor its progress by using the remote inside the house.
CAN I USE ANYTHING BESIDES CHICKEN THIGHS?
YES! Chicken breasts, bone-in chicken, chicken tenders, steaks, pork chops, pork loin & even veggies are AMAZING to use with this marinade. There are no rules, so feel free to make this recipe your own!
IS THERE ANOTHER WAY TO COOK THIS?
Absolutely! You can cook this chicken really any way that chicken can be cooked (stove top grill pan, cast iron pan, oven, etc). Cooking times/temps will vary, so be sure to Google the cooking method that works best for you.
TIPS FOR GRILLED CHICKEN THIGHS
- The longer you marinate this chicken, then better! While it’ll definitely still taste good even if you only have 30 minutes to let the flavors soak in, 24 hours is hands down my personal preference.
- You can serve your grilled chicken with roasted potatoes, veggies, grilled veggie kabobs, or make a double batch and use the leftovers in other dishes. I love adding diced grilled chicken to my favorite Spinach & Berry Salad With Creamy Poppyseed Dressing. The flavors are awesome together! Itâs also really good with my Pesto Cauli Mash!
- This chicken will stay fresh in the fridge for up to 5-6 days, which makes it great for meal prep.
- Itâs best to cook this chicken over medium-low heat, as you donât want the exterior to burn before the inside is cooked all the way through.
- If you don’t have an outside grill, try using an inside grill pan.
GRILLED CHICKEN VARIATIONS
You can add other ingredients to your chicken marinade to customize it to your taste!
- Add crushed red pepper flakes or hot sauce if you like your chicken with a little kick.
- Add a tablespoon or two of fresh chopped herbs such as green onions, rosemary, sage or dill. Scrape off the large pieces of herbs before you cook your chicken.
- For an Asian flavor, be sure to check out my recipe for Grilled Teriyaki Chicken.
This balsamic grilled chicken recipe is a staple in my house, as I usually cook up a double batch of this balsamic chicken every week, so that we have protein on hand that we can easily chop up and add to any dish. It’s always a total crowd pleaser, and this version is the best of the best! Serve this chicken at your next barbecue and watch the rave reviews come in.
Enjoy this balsamic grilled chicken recipe! Happy grilling! If you give this recipe a try, be sure to comment below and let me know how it turned out for you. Also, I would love to see your creations on Instagram. Be sure to tag me @livinglovingpaleo!
- 1.5-2lbs boneless/skinless chicken thighs
- Â½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil or avocado oil
- 5 cloves garlic, minced (or 1 Â½ teaspoons garlic powder )
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Â½ teaspoon black pepper
- Combine all of the marinade ingredients in a non-reactive bowl or Ziploc bag. Mix well. Add the chicken and mix again. Cover the bowl or seal the bag, and place into your fridge for at least 2 hours, and up to 24. I typically marinate the chicken overnight - the longer the better!
- Preheat your grill to medium low heat. Place the chicken on the grill, cook for 7-10 minutes, then flip the chicken and cook the other side for 7-10 minutes, or until cooked through. So good!