Nacho ordinary nachos! I'm gonna go ahead and say that these are even more amazing than any nachos I've ever had before! Buffalo chicken strikes again, and it's full of so much flavor that you won't even miss the cheese! Want to make this incredibly easy and super fast? Buy plantain chips instead of making your own sweet potato chips, just be sure to check the ingredients! You could bake the sweet potato chips instead of frying them, whichever way works best for you! You could also slice up some avocado and use store bought pico de gallo (again, just check the ingredients), although I have to say the avocado salsa is really, really yummy! I made a double batch of the buffalo chicken; it makes amazing leftovers! Have fun with this recipe, if you love buffalo chicken like I do, you'll LOVE this! Happy cooking!
Don't forget to enter my giveaway for a free copy of Eat The Yolks!! The winner will be picked on Saturday!
Buffalo Chicken Nachos
- 1 large sweet potato or yam (I used Japanese yams), sliced thin with a mandolin or sharp knife (or store bought plantain chips)
- coconut oil for frying (I used about ¼ cup)
Buffalo Chicken –
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 cups of cooked chicken, shredded (I used rotisserie chicken)
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup clean hot sauce (I used Frank's Original)
- 1/3 cup paleo mayo (recipe follows)
- Salt to taste
- 2/3 cup avocado oil
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp dry mustard powder
- 1 tsp lemon juice
Avocado Salsa –
- 3 ripe avocados, pitted and diced
- ½ small red onion, diced (about 1/3 cup)
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- ½ cup diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp cilantro, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (about 2 tsp)
- ¾ tsp salt
Let's start with the chips –
1. Melt enough coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat to just cover the bottom of the pan. Once the pan is nice and hot, add one layer of sweet potatoes/yams. Cook each side for about 2-3 minutes, until they just start to brown, and then flip to cook the other side. Continue doing this until all the chips are made. Add more coconut oil to the pan if needed. Place them on paper towels to drain.
While the chips are cooking, let's make the simple mayo! –
2. Place all ingredients in a tall container (I use a 2 cup Pyrex measuring cup). Place an immersion blender at the bottom and turn on. Once the mixture starts to blend together and become thick, move the immersion blender towards the top, until it is well blended. This should take less than a minute!
Salsa time! –
3. Mix all of the ingredients in a small bowl. That's it!
Time to make the buffalo chicken!
4. Melt the coconut oil in a medium pan over medium-low heat. Once the pan is hot, add the diced onion and cook until soft. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the chicken and cook just until heated through.
5. Turn off the heat and add the hot sauce and mayo to the pan. Season with salt and mix well.
*You can save the remaining mayo and store it in your fridge; the expiration date is whenever your egg expires! Use it to make ranch or chipotle aioli!
Nacho Time! –
6. Start with a layer of chips, top with buffalo chicken and then avocado salsa. Eat up!