This Dairy-free Chocolate Cream Pie is what dreams are made of! This is everything that you love about chocolate cream pie, only it's even more delicious, and made completely dairy-free, grain-free, gluten-free & refined sugar-free! So basically it's made with sunshine and rainbows. 😉
This recipe was born out of a disappointing gluten-free chocolate cream pie that my husband picked up from the freezer section of Whole Foods. While the chocolate filling was decent, the crust was basically non-existent. I knew immediately that I needed to re-create my own version, with a delicious crust and a rich, creamy chocolate filling.
If you didn't already know, my husband, Mike, is ALL about dessert. Don't get me wrong, I love my sweets too, but he takes it to a whole different level. One of his favorite pies is chocolate cream, so I set out to make my own recipe that tasted even more delicious than he remembered…and I ended up doing just that!
Of course, you can always make your own coconut whipped cream, but I'm personally obsessed with the new(ish) So Delicious coconut whipped cream, which I found in the freezer section of my Whole Foods (it's available at other stores as well)! It's SO GOOD, and legit tastes like Cool Whip, only created with much healthier ingredients.
Enjoy this recipe for my Dairy-free Chocolate Cream Pie!
Crust Dry Ingredients:
Crust Wet Ingredients:
For the Filling:
- 2 – 13.5 oz can full-fat coconut milk
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons arrowroot starch
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
Toppings (all optional):
- Coconut whipped cream
- Chocolate shavings
To make the crust:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Place all of the dry ingredients into a small bowl, and stir with a fork to combine. Place all of the wet ingredients into a separate medium bowl, and whisk to combine.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir well until all of the ingredients are combined and a dough forms. Let the dough rest for a minute so that the coconut flour is fully absorbed. This will make it so that the dough is not sticky.
- Place the dough into a pie dish, and using your hands, press the dough into the bottom of the pan and up to the very top of the sides of the pie dish. Bake the crust for 13-15 minutes, or until the edges are lightly browned. Remove the crust from the oven.
To make the filling:
- Warm the coconut milk and vanilla in a medium-sized pot over medium heat.
- Place the cocoa powder, coconut sugar, arrowroot starch & sea salt into a small bowl, and stir well to combine, using a fork.
- Once the coconut mixture is simmering, slowly whisk in the cocoa powder mixture. Continue whisking until the mixture is completely smooth and begins to thicken, about 2-3 minutes. Turn off the heat and pour the filling into the pie crust.
- Place the pie into your refrigerator for 4-5 hours, or overnight to set. Top with coconut whipped cream, chocolate shavings and ENJOY!
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links, meaning that if you purchase something from one of my links, I will receive a small percentage, at no additional cost to you. I will only ever recommend products that I truly believe in, and that I use myself or find to be very valuable. Thanks for helping me to keep my blog up and running!
PIN THIS FOR LATER:
DAIRY-FREE CHOCOLATE CREAM PIE