Does anyone remember those gigantic double chocolate chip muffins from Costco? Confession – those warmed up in the microwave, with a glass of milk was my breakfast more times than not, as a kid. I loved them! This recipe is my ode to those years, except that I added a delicious creamy sunbutter center, which to me tastes just like peanut butter! Feel free to get creative and use the nut butter of your choice! These are SO GOOD!
When baking any sort of grain-free muffins, I highly recommend using parchment muffin liners. Grain-free baked goods have a tendency to stick like no other, so I always use parchment liners! I also want to share an important note about palm shortening. It’s important to use palm shortening from a sustainable source, as many companies are destroying rain forests, just to harvest the palm oil. THIS is the brand I use, as it comes from a certified sustainable source.
These muffins are best enjoyed warm, and with a glass of coconut or almond milk! Happy baking!
- • ½ cup coconut flour
- • ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- • 1 teaspoon baking soda
- • ½ teaspoon sea salt
- • 4 eggs
- • 1 cup palm shortening
- • ¼ cup honey
- • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- • 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- • 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- • ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons sunbutter (or nut butter of your choice), divided
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Place all of the ingredients, except for the chocolate chips and sunbutter, into a food processor. Pulse until well combined, scraping down the sides as needed. Stir in the chocolate chips. **No food processor? No problem! Simply mix the dry ingredients in a bowl, and the wet ingredients in a separate bowl. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Scoop the batter into the lined muffin tin, filling 10 muffins ½ way. Add 1 tablespoon of sunbutter to the top of the batter in each muffin tin, and then fill with the remaining batter. Swirl the top of the batter, so that it mixes into the sunbutter. Honestly, there is no right or wrong way for this “filling” step, so feel free to get creative with it!
- Bake 25-30 minutes, or until the tops of the muffins are lightly browned and they bounce back when lightly touched. Enjoy warm, yum!